In Fort Lauderdale, and throughout the rest of Florida, car crashes form the basis of the majority of accident claims. While these claims are quite common though, that does not mean they are straightforward. The no-fault laws of the state seem to favor drivers and in some cases, they can expedite accident claims and allow people to receive PIP benefits more quickly.
Personal injury protection (PIP) benefits are limited, but accident victims can file a claim directly against the negligent party when they have suffered a serious injury. These claims are much more complex and come with many other challenges. A Fort Lauderdale auto accident lawyer can advise you of your legal options, and help you through the appropriate process.
Our Fort Lauderdale Auto Accident Lawyer Knows the Common Causes of Crashes
It is not uncommon for drivers to act negligently, or carelessly, while they are behind the wheel. Any negligence can result in a serious crash, but there are some causes of auto accidents that are more common than others. These include:
- Distracted driving: Texting while driving is illegal in Florida but many motorists still hold and use their phones while they are driving. Other types of distractions can also cause an accident, including drinking, eating, grooming, rowdy passengers, and even loud music.
- Aggressive driving: Weaving in and out of lanes erratically, tailgating, and trying to intimidate other motorists are just a few examples of aggressive driving that result in serious accidents.
- Drunk and drugged driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is one of the most reckless behaviors any motorist could engage in because it results in thousands of injuries and fatalities each year.
- Violation of traffic laws: Drivers that fail to yield, comply with stop signs and traffic signals, or that do not yield to pedestrians can all be held liable for a crash.
- Defective car parts: Manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure the products they make are safe for consumers. When a defective car part causes a crash, manufacturers can be held strictly liable.
It is not always easy to determine the cause of an auto accident. A car accident lawyer will determine the cause so you hold the appropriate party liable.
Our Fort Lauderdale Auto Accident Lawyer will Advise You of Your Legal Options
You have two main legal options when filing a claim for compensation after a crash. These are as follows:
- Your own PIP: Immediately following the accident, you can file a PIP claim with your own insurer to claim benefits for medical expenses and lost income, regardless of who was at fault for the crash.
- Filing a claim against the negligent driver: If you meet the serious injury threshold, which typically requires exhausting your own PIP benefits, you can file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company. These claims take longer, but will allow you to claim additional types of compensation, such as pain and suffering.
It is easy to understand why so many accident victims do not know their legal options after a crash. An auto accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale will advise you of these options, and help you through the appropriate process.
Let Our Auto Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale Help with Your Claim
The aftermath of an auto accident is scary and confusing, but you do not have to go through it alone. At Rosen Injury Law, P.A., our Fort Lauderdale auto accident lawyer will protect your legal rights and help you claim the full compensation you deserve. Call us today at 954-787-1500 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help.